In times of severe trouble, keeping yourself and your family healthy will be a prime concern. Medical professionals may not be available, medical facilities may be overwhelmed, or you may not be near medical help at all. For these reasons, it is important to know about antibiotics, as these are the best ways to treat infections, which can turn deadly sooner than one might imagine.
The following is only a general information article and does not suggest dosage amounts. Always remember that the use of some antibiotics can be harmful if the person is allergic to that medication. One such antibiotic that can prove fatal if taken by those allergic to it is penicillin (and any related antibiotic)
Antibiotics that can trigger allergies are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Name of Antibiotic and Treatment Uses:
- Amoxicillin*- Ear and Respiratory infections, STD’s
- Amoxicillin clavulanate*- Animal bites, diabetic infections, urinary tract infections
- Ampicillin*- GI tract infections, respiratory tract infection, STD’s
- Azithromycin- STD, ear infection, urethritis
- Ceftriaxone*- Urethritis
- Cephalexin*- Ear infections, boils and lesion infections, diabetic infections
- Ciprofloxacin- GI tract infection, STD’s
- Co-trimoxazole- Animal bites, infected lesions and boils GI tract infection, UTI’s
- Doxycycline- Bites, respiratory tract infection, STD’s, urethritis
- Erythromycin- Boils and lesions, impetigo
- Flucloxacillin*- Boils and lesions, impetigo
- Metronidazole- Human and animal bites, STD’s, Giardia, diabetic infections
- Nitrofurantoin- Urinary tract infections (UTI’s)
- Norfloxacin- UTI’s
- Ornidazole- STD, Giardia
- Trimethoprin- UTI
As mentioned above, the use of antibiotics can be very helpful in treating infections, but it can also be lethal if not used properly.